As our world becomes increasingly digital, physical media is now outdated and eliminated in favor of digitization. When you open a DVD and try to digitalize it, you won't find the video files. In another word, you need a tool to turn the DVD into digital videos, which is called the DVD ripper. This article identifies and reviews the top 10 best DVD ripping software for Mac and Windows users to digitalize their optical discs.
Part 1: 5 Best DVD Rippers for Mac
Top 1: AVAide DVD Ripper for Mac
As one of the best DVD ripper software, AVAide DVD Ripper for Mac is highly flexible and available to both beginners and advanced users. The concise interface enables beginners to find what they want quickly. The bonus features can help advanced users to produce the desired effects.
TRY IT FREE For Windows 7 or later
TRY IT FREE For Mac OS X 10.12 or later
- Rip both homemade and commercial DVDs.
- Enhance video resolution up to 4K.
- Extract audio tracks from DVDs flawlessly.
- Support a wide range of video output formats.
- Include lots of bonus features.
- After the free trial, you need to purchase a license.
Here are the basic steps to rip a DVD on Mac:
Step 1Load a DVD
Launch the best DVD ripper for Mac after installing it on your machine. There is another version for PCs. Put a video DVD into your device. Go to the Load DVD menu, select Load DVD Disc, and choose your disc. Next, click the Full Title List button, and select the desired titles; otherwise, the software will rip all titles.
Step 2Set the output format
Click the Rip All to menu at the top right corner to trigger the profile dialog, head to the Video tab, select a proper output format, and pick a preset.
Step 3Rip the DVD
Once settings are done, locate the bottom area, and select a destination folder by hitting the Folder button. At last, click on the Rip All button to begin ripping the DVD.
Top 2: MakeMKV
MakeMKV is an open-source DVD ripper software for Mac. In another word, everyone can download and use it without paying a penny. The only thing you need is a computer running Mac OS X 10.7 or later.
- Rip any DVDs including encrypted ones.
- Free to download and use.
- Offer three ways to load a DVD.
- Support for 4K BDAV discs.
- It can only convert DVDs to MKV files.
- It lacks preview functionality.
Top 3: HandBrake
HandBrake is both a free video converter and a free DVD ripper for Mac. It can decode a movie DVD, and then transform it into a digital video. Since it is open source, currently it is free of charge.
- Rip homemade DVDs quickly.
- Preview movies with the built-in media player.
- Rip DVDs for portable devices.
- Offer lots of custom options.
- It cannot handle encrypted DVDs.
- The setup is a bit complex.
Top 4: DVDFab DVD Ripper for Mac
DVDFab DVD Ripper for Mac is an all-in-one DVD ripper on Mac. In addition to ripping optical discs, it also integrates plentiful features, such as video conversion and editing. Therefore, it is popular among vloggers.
- Rip DVDs in HD videos.
- Batch process multiple videos.
- Upload videos to social media.
- Integrate hardware acceleration.
- You have to pay $64.99 per year to buy the whole software.
Top 5: WinX DVD Ripper Platinum for Mac
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is another top-rated DVD ripping software for Mac. With it, you can transform movies from optical discs to your computer and play on any digital device. The price is $36.00.
- Bypass encryption and protection on DVDs.
- Offer more than 350 presets.
- Speed up the process with GPU acceleration.
- Remove DRM.
- It does not support 2FA.
- The built-in video editor is pretty basic.
Part 2: 5 Best DVD Rippers for Windows
Top 1: VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is one of the most popular media players around the world. It comes with a lot of bonus features including ripping DVDs on PCs and Mac. It is completely free and supports lots of video formats.
- Support excellent file formats.
- Expandable with plugins.
- Convert DVD movies to digital videos.
- It can help you record online videos.
- The interface is not customizable.
- Some features are not easy to use.
Top 2: WonderFox DVD Ripper
WonderFox DVD Ripper is a professional DVD ripper for PCs. It offers useful features, such as managing file sizes, ripping DVDs, multiple modes, and more. Moreover, the price, $29.95, is not very high.
- Rip DVDs quickly.
- Produce impeccable video quality.
- Support numerous formats.
- Offer advanced tools.
- It is not available on Mac.
- The free trial has limitations.
Top 3: Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter is a free video converter and DVD ripper for PCs. The simple design and interface make it popular among beginners. Besides, it integrates some useful features, like trimming videos.
- Rip DVDs for portable devices.
- Add subtitles to digital videos.
- Support many output formats.
- Offer plentiful presets.
- It has not been updated for years.
- The free version can handle one disc.
Top 4: MediaCoder
As its name indicated, MediaCoder is not only a DVD ripper but also a media transcoding program. It means that you can use it to convert any video or audio files to another format.
- Open source and free to use.
- Convert between popular video and audio formats.
- Include numerous custom options.
- Preview DVD videos.
- It is only available to limited devices.
- The interface looks messy.
Top 5: DVD Shrink
DVD Shrink is a free DVD ripper for Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/98. Unlike other DVD ripping software, it cannot convert your optical discs into digital videos but make a backup with a smaller file size.
- Free and easy to use.
- Compress a DVD quickly.
- Integrate an intuitive interface.
- Come with a media player.
- It cannot rip encrypted DVs.
- It is not available on Windows 10 and later.
Part 3: FAQs about Best DVD Ripper
Is it legal to rip a commercial DVD?
It is actually illegal to rip a copyright-protected DVD, even if you have purchased it.
Does Windows 10 have a DVD ripper?
No. Windows Media Player can rip CDs on Windows but cannot convert DVDs into digital videos. You have to use a third-party DVD ripper.
Is it possible to rip and upscale a DVD?
There are two standard DVD resolutions, 720 × 480 and 720 × 576. Some DVD ripping software has the capacity to upscale the DVD quality while ripping discs.
Now, you should learn the top 10 best DVD ripping software available on Mac OS X and Windows. Some of them are free to use, like MakeMKV. Others require a license. You can get an appropriate tool according to your situation. AVAide DVD Ripper for Mac is the best option for average people. If you have better recommendations, please write them down below.
Best tool for ripping and converting DVD Disc/Folder/ISO image file into over various formats.